Sunday, September 9, 2007

Zion's Canyon Road Trip


On the way through Zion's Canyon you can see the handiwork of my ancestors. My great-grandpa was one of the men that helped to build the bridge and retaining walls in the canyon. I was very excited to get a picture of the bridge. I wanted to walk down under it, but I didn't have the best of shoes. I'm totally amazed at how skilled my ancestors were. They were some of the best brick masons in the area. Springdale is only one area where my ancestors used their masonry skills. If you travel to Wayne County or Sevier County you can see the workmanship of my ancestors.
My sister, Tasha standing in front of the Checkerboard Mesa.


On Saturday, September 8th, Mom, Tasha and myself took a road trip to Zion's Canyon. The weather was beautiful. It had been several years since I had been to Zion's Canyon. Tasha hadn't been to Zions for about fifteen years. My mom hadn't been to Zion's since my dad died. We used to travel to Springdale every year to decorate our family members' graves. We visited the cementary and was disappointed to see that the cementary was in such bad shape. The headstones were surrounded by weeds. I don't think any family members had decorated the graves since my mom had.


I was so surprised to see the way that Springdale has grown. It is a town for tourists. I can remember how it used to only have a few stores and a couple of gas stations. Now everywhere you turn there are gift shops or art galleries. My relatives' homes are surrounded by tourist attractions.





















2 comments:

Cashelle said...

That's amazing. Zion's will have a new meaning to me the next time we travel there.

Becky K. said...

I enjoyed your entry, Shelly. That is interesting to know about your ancestors being stone masons--very unique. As Cashelle said, going to Zion's again will be a new adventure.